alice in intel-land

Somebody had to be the first one at work to get one of the new Intel-based iMacs, so I volunteered.

Monday, April 10, 2006

More on Matlab

The Matlab installation went smoothly, and, as recommended, I ran the benchmark subprogram. If I'm reading the output correctly, Matlab on this computer is faster than on anything else except an AMD Opteron 248 dual 2.1GHz box running SUSE Linux 9.0. Of course, the comparison's a bit unfair, because there are much more powerful machines available and not all machines were running the latest OS. The Macs, for instance, were running OS 10.3.8. I can't embed the benchmarks here, because the Matlab figure windows don't allow access to the print dialog, and I can't figure out how to access the PrintScreen function on a non-Windows keyboard. I've been flailing away using the Option key (which doubles as Alt) with the various function keys. But all I managed to do was close some windows I didn't want to close. And googling for how to mimic PrintScreen hasn't gotten me any place. Nor have I found any useful information on the Apple discussion forums, though I did find that HalfLife 2 is screamingly fast; this at least is consistent with the Matlab benchmarks.

2 Comments:

  • At 5/19/2006 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    on my Macally keyboard, printscreen in F13, which appears to work fine when I boot Windows (coming from a MiniMac)

     
  • At 9/11/2006 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MacBook Pro has no F13 key

     

Post a Comment

<< Home